Tuesday 24 December 2013

Winter Wonderland


So it's Christmas Eve and I am in Holland staying with my boyfriend for the holiday, but I wanted to share the festive sights of London with you! The day before I left London I went on a photography mission: to capture shots of the Christmas decorations around the city and at Hyde Park's "Winter Wonderland".  It was actually a really foggy morning when I got up but by the time I'd caught the tube into the city the fog had all disappeared and the sun came out.  It was nice but still reaaalllly cold!

My first stop was to see the giant tree and Rudolph topiary statue at Covent Garden.  I was also quite charmed by the lego models of London landmarks, complete with lego Santas!











I then moved onto Piccadilly to get a shot of the Eros statue transformed into a snow globe, and the Fortnum and Maison Christmas window displays. Unfortunately the reflection meant the window displays didn't turn out very well, but I've included a couple of shots anyway, hopefully you can get a bit of an idea how detailed their dioramas are.




Also had to include these lovely Christmas ornaments/sculptures by Lladro for my Gran:



I wonder if Papa would turn this baby Jesus onto his head?! (Family joke - my grandfather always turns the baby Jesus in his crib onto his head when nobody's looking, or hides the Jesus and puts the cow in the middle of all the people - the heathen!)

Then I wandered through the trees towards Hyde Park. It's officially winter now, but still looking very Autumn-y:




Arrived at Hyde Park at last! So many stalls full of charming Christmas gift ideas! So many rides! So many Christmas themed Bars! Ice skating, and hot chocolate, and roasted marshmallows (oh my)! I was in Christmassy Heaven!

















I had a delicious pork roll with crackling and apple sauce from The Jolly Hog stall. Yum!


This moose's head was moving and singing!


You could sit in this moving carousel bar!



















On my way home I figured I'd stop off at Westminster and see if they did any Christmas decorations in that area as well.  They don't, but I got some lovely shots of sunset over the Thames and Houses of Parliament anyway.










I am a little bit jealous of all my friends back home posting photos and facebook statuses about how lovely and hot it is in Australia, but even with the cold, Christmas time over here is quite magical! Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas with their loved ones.  I'm planning to do some Christmas baking for Christmas Day with Dennis's family, and looking forward to a Dutch Christmas!

I did receive some lovely Aussie Christmas cheer though, I think this is my favourite Christmas card so far!


Merry Christmas everybody! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment